Thursday, September 11, 2008

If We Don't, Who Will?

It is past time for us to re-learn what it is to think for ourselves and to dust off our discernment and put it to use. This applies to so many circumstances in life but the one I will rant about in this blog is health-care. 

I was thinking the other day-what generation has been the healthiest? When there was little or no medical intervention, we suffered. We died sometimes in our 20's. Now when there seems, (in my opinion) to be too much medical intervention, we suffer. I look at our parent's and grandparent's generations. I think they had the balance. Life was still about hard-work and family. People spent time preparing meals, there were no microwaves, no pre-made meals, no mass-market produce with quality and purity sacrificed for preservatives and longer shelf-life a.k.a $$$. 

When medical intervention was needed, it was more than a quick scribble on an Rx note. It was in-home healthcare that treated problems as they arose. It was an intimate assessment of one's life to find the actual cause behind the symptoms. It was a belief that the body was divinely created to fight off infections with the proper support. It was a time when nutrition was studied and considered to be a leading cause of health defects. Nutrition is currently 20% or less of a medical student's workload. 

Not to say that many things that have been discovered since are all bad...by no means. But we have gone to an extreme in a very short amount of time. Why didn't leave well enough alone? No one will make your health decisions for you. It is left up to us to do our research, to study ingredients, to use our brains. Should we be able to trust that anything we purchase from the grocery store would of course cause us no harm? Certainly, we should...but we can't. 

I am, in a strange way, encouraged by these new commercials promoting High Fructose Corn Syrup. You know the ones where they paint the picture of the person oh so coyly ridiculing their friends for eating/drinking products with High Fructose Corn Syrup and then making them look like the fool who has no information to back up their argument. Yes, those. I am encouraged only in the fact that to feel the necessity to create these commercials, then we must be waking up to the potential hazards and be thinking for ourselves. Thank God! 

I will only dabble on the subject of Autism. All I am saying is that we must look for the reasons, the cause. Why in the last 10-20 years have we seen an absolutely astounding rise in a disease that before then, scarcely anyone had even heard of??? Could it be nutrition, could it be immunizations, could it be electromagnetic frequencies caused by cell phones, microwaves, etc.? Yes. It could be any. It could be all. We just have to ponder, have to ask, have to search. Have to pray. And possibly, have to make alterations to our lifestyles. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

im with you on this one for sure. im so thankful for my friends who are all over this topic and have taught me sooo much about "better" choices that I can make. it seems as though there is a lack in believing for physical healing and a self responsibility for change. thanks for the encouragement :)

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I second your thoughts. If only our culture was in the business of prevention instead of treating the problem. No thanks to our drug companies, that are in the business of making money. I feel such a responsibility as a mommy to be more informed of what i'm allowing to be put in my child's body. I even got in an argument over the fact that I did not want to give certain immunizations, then i had to sign a waiver that they are not responsible if anything happens since i choose not to give him the MMR AND Chickenpox. I wanted to say to him well will you sign a waiver if something happens to my child and you give it to him? Glad I have friends that are on the same page!


Melissa Kolarcik