Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Stream of Consciousness

As I go through my days so many thoughts and rambling go through my head, I'm sitting now blankly trying to retrieve them from their buried hiding spots in the back of my mind. It's been a week or so since I've posted anything and I'm trying to stay on top of it. I suppose since so much has been going on in the realm of family my "family blog" has been more recently updated. I haven't had a lot of time to dwell on my own thoughts and focus inward.

At the moment, Jayme is at church. Evangeline is sleeping (and not feeling well) and I just finished a bowl of tomato soup (a current favorite of mine) and sprouted english muffins with peanut butter. That's dinner. My laptop is still broken so I swipe Jaymes' most of the day. Alf is on t.v.! It's quite amazing that this show was as popular as it was. But because it's sentimental, I love it.

Though one of my primary thoughts these last few days has been pondering the demise of our culture with the growth of media. I can't say for sure that this is the leading cause of the downfall of moral standard and absolutes in our culture and generation, but I'm pointing my finger that way. It is truly nothing short of sick what we see and hear these days. This new show "Dirty Sexy Money" -hmmm, if the name doesn't say it all. And not long ago I saw a preview for Gossip Girl where the reviews promoted it from the angle of "a parent's worst nightmare". Nice. And it was even to my disappoint recently to see a clip from the new High School Musical 3 where a character was doing a sort of re-creation of 'Chicago' wearing a very skimpy outfit and dancing seductively. This, more than all may have upset me most simply because I know so many children who love the High school musicals and will undoubtably make the trip to the theater to see this one. It angers me for kids to have found a current movie that they can gravitate to, sing along with, and watch a hundred times over and to watch that movie and cast slowly subject itself to the same standard that everything else in Hollywood does, especially once it has already captured its audience. And I do mean capture.

All I know is that if our eyes stay on the media, not just Hollywood but even the news - local news, CNN, FoxNews, news entertainemt-John Stewart, Oprah, Bill Maher, The View, etc. we will have no hope and vision for the future. We'll see things how they see things. We'll see the future how they perceive it to happen. We'll rob ourselves of the ability to be surprised by God, we'll limit His ability to move...don't forget Jesus couldn't do miracles in his own home town because of the atmosphere of unbelief that resided there. He in all his sovereignty was unable to accomplish what He desired to do because of us. I myself need the reminder to watch what I'm watching.

See...I knew if I just started typing I'd find something to ramble about.

2 comments:

Reed and Kelli said...

keep on rambling.....i love it. girl...your way with words and truth is so refreshing. thanks for sharing.

xoxo

Mike said...

Very great thoughts. Unfortunately, the media that we see plague our Internet and t.v. sets (do people still have t.v. sets?) these days is generally run by extremely liberal media. Hence shows such as Dirty. Sexy. Money. Sex in the City, and the seductive dance scene in High School Musical 3. With the likes of Bill Maher, Oprah, and John Stewart, among other liberal talk show hosts and news anchors we're only receiving one side of the story, and that side is one that I don't particularly care for. Short of only watching the 700 Club or TBN all day, it would probably serve us all some good to turn off our televisions anyway so we're not infected with these vial shows.

And what the heck ever happened to Alf!?! I loved that show. Little furry dude from Melmack?! Come on...genius!